In the summer of 2018, my boyfriend and I went on a trip to Lagos, Portugal. This is a nice little town located in the Algarve area and is known for the beaches with their huge cliffs. In this article I’ll share some of my favorite beaches to help you decide which one is worth going to.
- Praia Don Ana. I was surprised the first time when I saw Don Ana. I had never seen so many people at the beach before, but the stunning sandstone cliffs made me forget about this thought right away. It was an awesome experience to swim so close near the cliffs and the water has a pretty turquoise colour. I recommend going a little before noon, because that way you can pick a good spot and the sand wouldn’t be as warm. Another tip is to go later in the evening to see a beautiful sunset with almost no one else at the beach anymore.
- Praia dos Estudantes. Unfortunately we (my boyfriend and I) decided to go to this beach on one of the last days of our vacation. We discovered this one our kayak tour and thought it would be awesome to spend some time at it afterwards. This is a small beach and it gets quite crowded during the day, but it’s a great spot to enjoy some sun and swim in the water to cool down. It also has a little bridge which connects to another cliff and it’s a wonderful spot to take some pictures at. Another benefit is that it’s near the center of Lagos.
- Praia da Piedale. This beach is located on the west side of the Algarve, basically almost on the edge of Portugal. Perfect spot for a sunset! Unfortunately I didn’t go to this one, but it’s on my list for the next time when I visit the Algarve. It will give you an amazing panoramic view for a romantic end of the day.
- Praia da Camillo. You’ve probably seen this iconic beach with the staircase on many pictures already. They usually show you this one on ads related to the Algarve. My boyfriend and I passed this beach on our kayak tour. It’s a little smaller than the other ones but again, surrounded by awesome sandstone cliffs and clear water. Definitely one worth going to!
Tips for a beach day in Lagos:
- Bring an umbrella to the beach. This is one of the best purchases we made and they sell some for a great price in town. It gets extremely hot during the afternoon on the beach and it’s almost unbearable without one.
- Bring enough water. In particular on really warm days: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
- The cliffs are a nice spot to find some shade.
- Bring some goggles. Would be a fun activity to see some fish swimming in the clear blue water.
- Sunscreen. Planning to spend the whole day at the beach? It’s important to protect yourself and you don’t want to look like a lobster at the end of the day.
Picture taken at Praia dos Estudantes.